Saturday, September 8, 2018

Introduction to Sociology / Week1 / JaeSeong Lee


1.Summary


Sociology is one of the fields of social science, the study that examines, analyzes, and criticizes the structure and activities of human society. The traditional focus of sociology includes social relationships, social stratification, social interaction, culture and departure. But now it has expanded its focus to a wide range of topics, such as economic activity, health imbalances, and creation of scientific knowledge. In other words, sociology is an attempt to understand the world.

2.What was interesting/ What did you learn

While reading this article, I became interested in Peter Berg, who talked about the differences between non-science and society. A sociologist is an act of pure awareness that tries to figure out what is there, regardless of fear and hope, Berg said. It seemed to describe the similarities between sociology and science. To me, science is a difficult but mysterious and interesting subject. Of course, sociology cannot be exactly the same as science, but I can be interested in sociology because I feel it is a science that is similar to what I normally have.

3.Discussion Point

Sociology encompasses more and more areas. Sociology, such as politics, history, culture, environment, philosophy, and economics, involves almost every area related to humans. At the same time, I think the meaning of sociology can be overloaded. In this situation, how should we take a view of expanding the realm of sociology?

6 comments:

  1. I think too much overloaded meaning of sociology should be worried too. But the sociology is really huge study of humans. So It's natural the meaning of sociology is overloading. Because the society is always changing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with the argument that society always changes. I also admit that it places too much emphasis on the meaning of sociology. However, I am afraid that the meaning of the word that has been overloaded will be a burden on those who study sociology in the future.

      Delete
  2. Society is changing.I think this should focus on changing sociology, not exaggerated meaning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sociology really covers a lot of areas. Students who study sociology may abandon this overloaded area of sociology. As a result of social change, I think there should be a definite distinction between modern sociology and past sociology.

      Delete
  3. And I think the more areas of sociology are included, the more people will study sociology. Because there is a high possibility of being linked to other studies, like social science, I think that the scholars who study different subjects will study sociology together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With the expansion of sociology, it is a positive effect that happens when a sociologist learns a different subject, or when another scholar learns sociology. However, I think the barriers to social studies may be higher. If you want to learn sociology, you may have to learn other subjects as well. Of course not all sociologists, but I can't rule out the possibility.

      Delete